URGENT: VOTE to Protect DIY Spaces in NYC (VOTING GUIDE)
Use the Voting Guide Below
Shape New York City's response to DIY Spaces for the next 10 years. Click through each poll and prevent the shutdown of community spaces. We need record breaking turnout for affordable community spaces or the City's support for culture goes only to a handful of powerful museums.
Deadline to vote: Wednesday May 31
#ProtectDIYSpaces Voting Guide Video
NYC Artist Coalition: Protect DIY Spaces Voting Guide
Click through each poll and vote for the items in the guide.
SOCIAL & ECONOMIC IMPACT (1/4)
- Continue to engage public stakeholders regarding the CABARET LICENSING LAW, requiring eating/drinking establishments with patron dancing to be licensed.
- Partner with other City agencies to support for-profit arts and cultural organizations including art galleries, bookstores, theaters, and music venues.
- Support wages for cultural workers and artists that allow them to thrive in New York City.
- Support salaries in non-profit arts and cultural organizations.
HEALTH OF THE CULTURAL SECTOR (2/4)
- Work toward safe and open environments for DIY and alternative arts spaces in collaboration with City agencies.
- Develop mechanisms to support groups beyond established 501(c)(3) organizations.
- Collaborate with partner organizations to increasingly support individual artists through direct grants, including to fiscally-sponsored artists.
- Explore changes to the Department of Cultural Affairs’ grant programs.
CITYWIDE COORDINATION (3/4)
- Help artists and cultural organizations navigate city government rules, regulations, and permitting.
- Partner with other City agencies to ensure the needs of the cultural community are considered in all community and economic development planning processes.
- Support arts and cultural organizations with a primary mission of serving historically underrepresented and underserved communities.
- Support artists and community-based cultural organizations that work with immigrant communities, cultures, and artists.
- Encourage and support affirmative and inclusive employment policies.
- Continue to support free admission, membership, or discounted programming with cultural organizations through the IDNYC program.
- Support organizations that promote disability arts and employ, support, and serve New Yorkers with disabilities.
- Encourage and support increased language access, including ASL, for cultural programming and funding opportunities to reach broader, more inclusive audiences.
Could you help spread the word for everyone to VOTE and protect DIY Spaces? We need record breaking turnout or the City's support for culture goes only to a handful of powerful museums.